Planning & Zoning Office
TO ALL CUSTOMERS OF CLARK COUNTY PLANNING & ZONING:
IN RESPONSE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC AND CDC GUIDELINES OUR OFFICE WILL IMPLEMENT THE FOLLOWING CHANGES TO OFFICE PROCEDURE STARTING WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18, 2020:
1. THE OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC - PLEASE DO NOT COME IN PERSON TO OUR OFFICE FOR PERMITS, INSPECTION REQUESTS, ETC. AS WE WILL NOT BE OPEN TO RECEIVE YOU.
2. THE OFFICE WILL STILL FUNCTION BUT IN A LIMITED CAPACITY. ALL PERMIT REQUESTS MUST BE COMPLETED ELECTRONICALLY AND CAN BE DONE ON OUR WEBSITE: WWW.CO.CLARK.IN.US ON THE PLANNING & ZONING PAGE. ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION CAN BE SCANNED AND SENT VIA EMAIL. WE WILL NEED ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION IN ORDER TO PROCESS A PERMIT - THIS IS VITAL. ALL INSPECTION REQUEST CAN BE MADE THROUGH OUR ONLINE SERVICE WEB MODULE AND YOU CAN FIND THE LINK TO IT ON OUR WEBPAGE AS WELL. ALTHOUGH WE TYPICALLY REQUIRE 24 HOURS FOR INSPECTION REQUESTS, PLEASE UNDERSTAND WE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO MEET THE 24 HOUR DEADLINE AND SCHEDULE INSPECTIONS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR FUTURE DATES.
3. THE PHONES WILL BE OPERATIONAL AND WE HOPE TO HAVE A PERSON ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO HANDLE THE PHONE CALLS, BUT WE ASK THAT YOU USE EMAIL AS YOUR MAIN FORM OF COMMUNICATION TO OUR OFFICE AND BE PATIENT WHEN AWAITING RESPONSES FROM OUR STAFF.
4. CURRENTLY, WE HAVE NO INFRASTRUCTURE IN PLACE TO ACCEPT MONEY ELECTRONICALLY. WE REALIZE THIS IS A BIG ISSUE WHEN DEALING IN EXPEDIENCY SO WE ASK AGAIN THAT YOU REMAIN PATIENT AND PREPARE FOR DELAYS AND LONGER WAIT TIMES FOR PERMIT ISSUANCES. IN ORDER TO PAY FEES, PLEASE MAIL CHECK TO THE ADDRESS OF 501 E. COURT AVENUE, ROOM 416, JEFFERSONVILLE, IN, 47130 OR IN AN ENVELOPE PLACED IN A DROP BOX WHICH WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY OUTSIDE THE MAIN ENTRANCE TO THE CLARK COUNTY COURTHOUSE.
WE UNDERSTAND THE INCONVENIENCE THIS CAUSES OUR RESIDENTS AND CUSTOMERS, BUT YOUR HEALTH AND THE HEALTH OF OUR STAFF IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE DURING THIS TIME. AS PER CDC AND CLARK COUNTY HEALTH OFFICIAL GUIDELINES, PLEASE REDUCE INTERACTIONS AND PRACTICE "SOCIAL DISTANCING" AND IF YOU CAN STAY HOME, PLEASE DO.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE CHANGES TO THIS NEW PROCEDURE MAY CHANGE WITHOUT WARNING AND WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO KEEP YOU UPDATED. PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE FREQUENTLY FOR ANY FURTHER CHANGES. THANK YOU AND REMEMBER: WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
CLARK COUNTY PLANNING & ZONING
NOTICE: DUE TO THE PRECAUTIONS BEING TAKEN TO COMBAT THE COVID-19 VIRUS, ALL PLAN COMMISSION AND BZA MEETINGS WILL BE SUSPENDED UNTIL MAY 01, 2020, WHEREIN THE SITUATION WILL BE REASSESSED AND A DECISION MADE ON HOW TO PROCEED AT THAT TIME. WE APPRECIATE YOUR COOPPERATION AND PATIENCE AT THIS TIME. THANK YOU!
The Plan Commission is hereby authorized to perform those duties and functions specified in Indiana Code, IC 36-7-4-400 et seq. and other applicable sections of Indiana Law and such other responsibilities as may be assigned to it from time to time by the Board of Commissioners of Clark County. The Plan Commission shall adopt written rules of procedure for the administration of the affairs of the Plan Commission and its staff for investigations and hearings.
The Board of Zoning Appeals is hereby authorized to perform those duties and functions specified in Indiana Code 36-7-4-900 et seq. and other applicable sections of Indiana Law. The Board shall adopt written rules of procedure pertaining to the administration of this chapter and the conduct of hearings. The staff is authorized to take those lawful actions necessary to enforce the terms of Ordinance No. 17-2007 an ordinance adopting the Zoning Ordinance for Clark County, Indiana on behalf of the Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals. The staff shall also have the authority to perform inspections to review applications, and to issue permits.
The Staff is authorized to make inspections of all lands located in the jurisdiction of the Plan Commission or to enforce the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance. In order to execute inspections, the staff shall have the right to enter any premises, at any reasonable time, for the purpose of carrying out their duties in the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance. The staff is authorized to take any action authorized under Indiana Code IC 36-7-4 et seq. http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title36/ar7/ch4.html to correct such violations.
All building permits are issued through the Planning & Zoning office.
New 2020 Residential Building Code
On December 26, 2019, the state of Indiana adopted and enacted the 2018 IRC (International Residential Code) with the 2020 Indiana amendments. We have made the 2020 Indiana amendments available below and we also have a hard copy available for reference in our office. The 2018 IRC can be found at www.IABO.com (Indiana Association of Building Officials) or www.ICCsafe.org (International Code Council) for reference and/or purchase.
There will be training opportunities in the near future to help explain the significant changes in the code and those can be found on IABO.com as well. It should be noted, any permits obtained after December 26, 2019, must subscribe to the new codes. Please contact our office if there are any questions.
This site allows the public to look up permits, inspections, addresses, and even schedule inspections. Please feel free to contact our office for assistance on its use! Click here to access our Online Service Center!
COMMERCIAL & RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY INSPECTIONS
All inspections require 24 hour notification. There are always exceptions and we will work with those inspections on a case-by-case basis. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. To schedule an inspection please call the office at 812.285.6287 or email Stacia Franklin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clark County Flood Plain
Many portions of Clark County are in the Special Flood Hazard Area (floodplain) and these areas have particular guidelines and regulations which are enforced through Clark County Planning and Zoning, Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR), and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Our office enforces the Clark County Flood Ordinance, (which can be found in the downloadable documents at the bottom of this page) as well as DNR’s floodway regulations.
Residents of the unincorporated portions of Clark County may have questions about floodplains, such as:
- Is my property in the floodplain?
- Can I build in the floodplain?
- Do I need flood insurance?
- What is a LOMA (Letter of Map Amendment)?
We have added the following links to give our residents information regarding floodplain matters:
- FEMA Flood Plain Information Portal
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Indiana DNR - Division of Water
- Indiana Flood Plain Map
The above links will allow residents to view their properties and determine if they are in the floodplain, obtain information on the National Flood Insurance Plan (NFIP) and State permitting processes, receive applications for floodplain permits from DNR, and many other informative facets involving the Special Flood Hazard Area.
The Executive Director of Planning and Zoning also acts as the Floodplain Administrator for Clark County and is available to answer any questions and assist in creating floodplain mitigation plans for our residents whose properties happen to be in the Special Flood Hazard Area. Please see contact information for the Executive Director on this page.
PROPERTY ZONING MAP
To determine the zoning for a piece of property in Clark County please contact the Clark County Planning and Zoning Office or follow the steps below to view the Clark County Zoning information.
1. Click here to view the GIS website
2. Click on the tab on the right side of the page labeled “Map Contents”
3. Scroll down the list until you reach “Zoning – County”
4. This will add the zoning layer for the County. Use the “+” icon to access the dropdown legend.
Plan Commission Meetings
All regular meetings of the Commission will be held in the Conference Room on the fourth floor room 418 in the Clark County Government Building, 501 East Court Avenue, Jeffersonville, Indiana. If the date, time or place is changed, notice of such change shall appear in the Notice of Special Meetings. Please see the Plan Commission Meeting Schedule in the documents at the bottom of this page.
Board of Zoning Appeals Meetings
All regular meetings of the Board of Zoning Appeals will be held in the Conference Room on the fourth floor room 418 in the Clark County Government Building, 501 East Court Avenue, Jeffersonville, Indiana. If the date, time or place is changed, notice of such change shall appear in the Notice of Special Meetings. Please see the Board of Zoning Appeals Meeting Schedule in the documents at the bottom of this page.
CONTACT THE PLAN COMMiSSION
Clark County Government Center
501 East Court Ave. Room #416
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Planning and Zoning Staff Contacts
Stacia S. Franklin - Executive Director
Jason Stanley – Building Commissioner
Jeremy Corbett – Inspector
Cathy Denison – Secretary
Planning Commission Board Members
- Tony Bennett
- Simon Kafari
- Dan Callahan
- Wally Estes
- Michael Killen
- Jim Atcher
- Connie Sellers
- David Blankenbeker
- David Nachand
- Stacia Franklin
- Jason Stanley
- Eric Morris
Board of Zoning Appeals Board Members
- Kimberly S. Baker
- Guy Guernsey
- Michael Killen
- David Nachand
- Stacia Franklin
- Jason Stanley
- Duard Avery
- Keith Coats